Morgan Stanley Investment Management - Investment portfolio analysis - Associate
The Global Portfolio, Analysis and Reporting (GPAR) Team is seeking a highly motivated individual to join our London team to support on-going portfolio analysis. This individual will be responsible for providing both standard and ad hoc reporting and analytics to colleagues throughout Investment Management, with a focus on equity and multi assets portfolios attribution, GIPS composite construction and performance related queries from MSIM Front Office. The individual should have a willingness and interest in continuously expanding one’s knowledge of the investment process, finance/economics, and applied investment analytical skills. The group has a strong, team-based orientation, yet relies upon its members to take responsibility and ownership of their coverage responsibilities and client base. Thorough professionalism in all technical and non-technical aspects of the position is required.
- Provide performance attribution, GIPS composite construction/oversight, and reporting for assigned areas of product coverage.
- Produce, verify, and approve standard attribution on a monthly basis. Respond to requests to compile custom analysis and detailed examination of calculations and output.
- Respond to ad hoc attribution requests. These reports are generally structured according to the specifications of the investment team and/or clients.
- One to one interaction with portfolio managers/analysts, product specialists, client service administrators, and other investment professionals on a variety of issues relating to investment performance and the decomposition of returns.
- Work with other colleagues in the global organization to streamline/increase efficiency and accuracy of the GPAR Team processes.
- Project work as needed relating to the GPAR Team.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or a related field.
- Working knowledge of the investment process and referential data for equities, mutual funds, fund of funds, futures, credit default swaps, FX forwards, options..
- Asset management performance calculation and reporting experience, including alternative return calculations and CFA Institute Guidelines.
- In depth understanding of attribution theory and practice. Prior experience with fund of funds and Brinson transaction based models.
- Prior experience and up to date knowledge of GIPS and best practices.
- Working knowledge of EU regulations guidelines such as SRRI, PRIIPS etc
- Prior working experience with an attribution vendor is preferred. Experience in using FactSet, Bloomberg, BlackRock. Prior experience with Portfolio Analysis, SPAR and Portfolio Dashboard in Factset.
- Additional proprietary tools are also used.
- Experience with implementing new attribution models and portfolio characteristics.
- Strong quantitative, analytical and problem solving skills along with a high attention to detail.
- Advanced knowledge of Power Point and Excel, including designing, creating and maintaining complex spreadsheets, queries, reports and charts.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Highly proactive and energetic with a focus toward client service.
- Strong individual initiative with the ability to take a proactive approach to assigned projects and new team initiatives.
- Able to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.